Friday, October 2, 2015

I'm no Sheryl Sandburg.

This week was my ultimate road warrior test and I survived.  Four states in three days, several business meetings, and back home to the kids that I am constantly in fear of neglecting.

Balancing this shit is a job in itself.  I don't think I've ever given single moms enough credit.  Many people have sent me articles about Sheryl Sandburg in the past few months, feeling as if I might relate to the journey she is traveling that is very similar to my own.

You know what?  Sheryl Sandburg makes me feel like a failure on all fronts.  Within a couple of months of her husband's passing, Sheryl was jetting off to China and being fabulous.  I am in awe of how she has picked up the pieces of life and seems to be back on track with her life's mission of saving the world through her brilliance and power with Facebook.

Sometimes I wonder if her money helps makes things easier.  Does she have to wake up at 4:45 each morning to scuttle her children off with their grandparents for the morning?  Does she have to rely on her dad or sister to make sure her children do their homework?  Does she drag herself home at 7:00 every night and resort to mac and cheese for dinner because she's so exhausted?  Or does she have an immense team of nannies, butlers, housekeepers, etc. who is making this bullshit called widowhood more survivable?

Do Sheryl's kids cry themselves to sleep over the phone when she's on these business trips?  Does she feel like life is a constant battle of letting someone down and having to choose who that person will be on any given day?

I'm sure Sheryl Sandburg is fighting her own battle, so I don't judge her on how well she seems to be doing in public.  One thing all of us widows have in common is the ability to fake the hell out of life.  But I cannot help but think that I'm getting this all wrong some days.

1 comment:

  1. I think you make some very good points about SS. She likely has a lot of help ... not to mention probably an on-call therapist or life coach!

    ReplyDelete